· No matter how
much I know there are always people
way smarter in any given area of knowledge than me. If I fully appreciate
this and seek them out, they are almost always willing
to share that knowledge and insight with me. My interest
and willingness to learn is way more important than genius.
· I prefer to be a generalist and apply other people’s genius than
try to be an expert in one field to the exclusion of other experiences and
· Be adaptable. The major successes I’ve had have emerged from information
I’ve gained in pursuit of my initial objectives, which start
as goals and then turn into milestones as you pass them on the way to the ultimate solution
· Success most often lies in the land of re-iteration. The path to achievement
usually leaves a trail of shredded assumptions
· Ask the tough questions first.
· The best way to get a deal done is to create a win-win situation, the
best way to get paid is to be valuable and the best way to get paid in full
and on time is to be the key to future wealth recognized as even greater than
your value today.
· Sometimes you’ve gotta be a tough sob in order to survive long
enough to be kind and gentle.
· No matter what the contract says, know that true equity will ultimately
rule. Oversights will be noticed, imbalances will become apparent, underserved
participants will withdraw and support will wither. Without the continuing
support of all of the stakeholders or parties the wheels will fall off at the
· Transparency reduces the likelihood of misrepresentations or misinterpretations
becoming hidden mines that will wreck the undertaking just when things seem
to be going well. Unrecognized imbalances are the greatest
cause of transaction failure. Sometime, somewhere someone will always spot inequities and try to
turn them into personal equity.
· Adding value is the surest way to make a fair
amount of money.
· It is natural to be primarily committed
to our own well being first. This applies to all
organisms including flora and fauna, people and organizations.
Generosity is a fleeting thing unless the benefactor
is very clear on the benefit of being generous.
· Never expect anyone to do something that is knowingly
against their best interest, no matter what they say or how
noble it seems.
· Trust people
who are doing something that is in their best interest
and are clearly aware of it.
· You can only expect people to do their best when they recognize that
it is best for them too.
· Don’t assume that people will easily recognize what is in their
· Bird’s nests lying on the ground are almost always there for a
· If it’s really a good idea, a lot of people have thought of it.
Find out what stopped it and why
· When you ask “what’s in it for me” always accompany
it with “what’s in it from me”.
· I can keep my side of the road clean but I am
not qualified to judge how other people
are doing. I can only decide whether I wish to participate
with them or not.
· Don’t take yourself too seriously, we are human after all.
· Appreciate that we all have different needs, values, learnings and perspectives.
The fact that they are different does not make them bad or good. It just means
that they are different. If we learn to find out those values and respect them
we will have a much more enjoyable life.
involves taking a stand and owning it and being visible with
· In order to accomplish the “impossible” you must be able
to see the “invisible.”
· Commit to avoiding self-betrayal. You’ll have a better more enjoyable
life and you won’t be so damn judgmental.
· Get over being important. We each have a role in the universe. These
roles are not more or less important. They all fit together and are critical
to the universe as we know it. Remember, no matter how significant we are,
the universe is amazingly adaptable to either our presence or our absence...
· It is our option to increase or decrease our input and outtake levels.
The fullness of our lives is up to us.
· Be nice-
(unconditionally.) It feels good and nobody can take it away
· Be worth it.
You’re not the only person who has invested in your
current state of being.
· Events happen. We choose how to react to them. It is possible to modify
the tapes that govern our reactions to create new and